To schedule an audition, please submit an online audition form and you will be contacted by our administrator.
The playing level for entry into the GYSO is Grade 7 Royal Conservatory for strings, and a playing level approximate to Grade 7 for winds and brass. There will be two levels of audition for the GYSO, one for “section” entry and the other for those who wish to audition for a principal chair. After one year of membership members of the second violin section can audition to move from the 2nd to the 1st violin section by preparing the “section” audition requirements listed below.
The section auditions will consist of:
1. A solo work, memorization not necessary
2. Scales -one major and one minor from the appropriate grade level (strings prepare 3 octaves, winds 2 octaves)
3. Sight reading (approximately grade 6 level, in keys with up to three sharps or flats)
The principal chair auditions will consist of:
1. Strings: a movement from a concerto, winds an etude and a solo work (memorization not necessary).
2. Scales (strings 3 octaves, winds 2 octaves)
3. Sight reading
4. An orchestral solo as selected by the GYSO audition committee
Returning students need not prepare a full audition or scales: only a short solo of his/her choice. This will be a lovely opportunity for our conductor to meet you, and hear you play. All returning students will have automatic acceptance into the orchestra.